I wish I had a plan, I don't, but I really wish I did!
If you are reading this and are pregnant with your first child... make a plan!!!
Huh? I hear you say. Well, here is my dilemma...
I have a child who...
-has way too many toys, most of which are plastic
-has way too many books, some of which never get read or have had things torn out of
-has matching clothes on most days, but somedays can still have breakfast on them at 3pm
-mostly says please and thank you (phew), but no is still his favorite word
-gets a bath most days
-sometimes (ok it happens more often than I'd like) leaves the house with a grubby face
-now tells me "Mummy do it" when I ask him to tidy up
-has little interest in communicating properly with me
and
-probably has way to much sugar in his diet.
Now, when I was pregnant, I did start to formulate ideas in my head of how my cherub-to-be would behave, eat and be appropriately dressed. Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not the prim and proper type but I think I though my child would be! So, now when I read or see or hear the things other mums do, or the things they let their child play with or hear how they teach them etc, I start to day dream and wish I did those lovely things, followed by an overwhelming sense of guilt and a quick freak out.
Is it this way with most mums or do most mums have a plan and then stick to it? I've never been a great planner myself so I guess that explains why I don't have a plan for motherhood.
Here is what I want to ask you dear friend (if you are a mum) -
Do you have a plan? and Is it too late to get one now???
5 comments:
I have a bit of a plan... and its NEVER too late to get one! Never ever ever too late!
My plan for my kids (and me too):
Creativity. Compassion. Character.
Spend a little time each day encouraging creative response to God, people and nature. Remember that a person who has a soft heart and compassion for people is far more precious than an intelligent or attractive person. Get through each day knowng that each problem and hard time that you push through produces character.
Katherine - that is so beautiful...I love each of those words - they contain so much!
Deb - I remember saying to myself (and others - cringe!) that if I was going to make sure of one thing, it would be that my child would never EVER leave the house looking like a grub. Ha! Poor little thing often gets ferried around with Weet Bix on her face, hair dishevelled, and 'when was the last time I checked her nappy??'
I remember my sister saying to me when Ever was about a month old, 'I love how you dress her up to take her out and don't just stick her in onesies all the time.' Ha! That lasted about another two weeks!!
Don't despair!! I don't have a 'set' plan but when I really thought about it, I realised I had made a 'vow' when Ever was born that I would give her as many different experiences as possible. That's what motivates me to take her to the beach when it really is a massive bother (c'mon - I am convinced the beach will never again be relaxing now I have kid/s!) or let her jump under a streaming hose fully clothed or let her play with new foods. For me, it takes some of the stress out of mothering because it turns some of those arrgghhh moments into, awwww moments. But we havn't hit the two year mark yet so we'll see how I'm going with it next year!!
I will be praying for you Anna when she hits 2 and will boost it up the closer she gets to 3! Oh how we mum's can put on a show of how "together" we have it and you have reminded me that once I did have a plan but I soon replaced it with "Whatever works". Ah, and yes breakfast on the face for the day and crazy hair. Love it - I'm with you on that.
Ha! Have you guys seen my daughters hair! Its ALWAYS "crazy" even when its been brushed...
My plan is to wash the face before the kid gets down from the table, but that's it... somedays we even have Pajamas on all day!
Anna-So with you on the last nappy check, but Im pretty fortunate to have soren come to me telling me "poos mummy!"
However, if the kids are cleaned up, it usually means that I've just combed my hair back, and put it up, chucked on whatever was close, and run out the door before they get messed up again! :)
Post a Comment